Saturday, September 10, 2011

view from my window: rickshaws

rickshaws are everywhere in chittagong. they wait for potential passengers to hail them, as you would a taxi in an american city. the ride from my apartment to the university - perhaps 1.5 miles - costs around 20 or 30 taka (1 dollar = 75 taka).

because rickshaws don't have gears, wallahs frequently have to get out and pull a rickshaw with passengers up a hill, as is seen below. it is common for several people to ride together, and i have seen as many as six people in a single rickshaw - two women and four children. 

the typical rickshaw wallah wears a skirt-like piece of fabric tied around his waist, and a pair of cheap plastic sandals. as you might guess, rickshaw wallahs are very lean and muscular. 

















rickshaw wallahs work in sunshine and in rain. when it rains, a wallah will pull a plastic tarp across a line to keep his passengers dry, and occasionally use an umbrella for himself.

although most are young, it is not uncommon to see a wallah who is well into middle-age, with gray in his beard.




















3 comments:

  1. wow, is there any way I can invest in a rickshaw coop as an absentee owner? looks like they are in demand. Mom and I need dividends for retirement as well as eternal rewards. makes me thankful Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great series of pictures Micah. Are these all with your point and shoot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Dan. These are with my (new) digitial SLR actually - a canon. LBA helped me pick out a few lenses before I left, and these pics were shot using my zoom lens. Have you been shooting a lot yourself? LBA told me you had a wider angle lens that you really like.

    ReplyDelete