Tuesday, August 30, 2011

driving to Cox's Bazar

A couple weeks ago, Keith Cox and I traveled to Cox's Bazar (no relation). The town of Cox's Bazar is built along the longest beach in Aisa, and one of the longest natural beaches in the world.

We took a bus down, and we drove through some beautiful countryside. The landscape is mostly delta. Driving through it feels somewhat like Louisiana. Only with lots of Bangladeshis, and almost no Cajuns.



There is a lot of rice grown here, and it is common to see people bent over, working in the rice paddies. We also passed a number of kilns where bricks are made. In a city like Chittagong, there is a lot building going on. From my apartment, I can easily see several new buildings going up. They build them with concrete and bricks. And I imagine the bricks are made in kilns like these:



The traffic can be awful here. However, those of you who know how much I enjoy popcorn will be glad to learn that you can buy it on the street here - even from the window of a bus, stopped in traffic. Not the best I've ever had, but not bad.




No comments:

Post a Comment